Sunday, February 17, 2008

“Feelitation”- Another perspective for meaning of words…..

Today’s English class was scheduled for “Word meaning”, the area in which I am very much interested (simply because I am weak in this). In starting of class she (believe me its very difficult to concentrate on words and their meaning when some beautiful teacher is teaching) gave some words, methods to remember word, type of words and last but not the least meaning of words. She told that there are generally 2 type of meanings for any word -first is denotation and second is connotation (please don’t ask me exact meaning for this also- but one is dictionary meaning & other is usage meaning depending upon context), but when I was thinking on this then I felt there is one more type of meaning for words which is – “Feelitation” (oh red underline, means MS word don’t have this word in dictionary). Now next question is what this “Feelitation” is, so I can say only it is combination of “Feeling + Tation” (both denotation and connotation have same suffix), means this is the meaning for any word depending upon individual’s feeling.
I know you all are agree with me but then also you want (NEED is better word here I feel) proper example for justification, which I have lot so no issue for me.
Till class 6th I used to sit between two girls in my class (that time I never released important of this), suddenly 1 day one of them said me hey “you are my boy friend and I am your girl friend” (thanks god both of my girl friend didn’t started fighting there). As I am a bit shy also I shocked after listening this and I asked her what exactly she meant by saying this? Then she told “I mean we are friends and you are boy & I am girl, so I used new words which I listened yesterday (thank god, whatever feeling she had for me but she told me this)”. We can easily understand two meaning of same words upon different feelings, she only said by combining Boy/Girl + Friend while I thought due to love or affection she said this to me (this word still confuse me lot).
As Valentine day just passed I remember 1 more incidence here, when I just passed my school first time someone (no need to say she is my girl friend, here again girl friend means “Girl + Friend”) wished me on Valentine day morning. I was very excited about this for full day because as I just entered in the college and moreover first time in life some girl wished me on Valentine day. That time I know only 1 meaning of this which some of our social and cultural security guards “Bajarang Dal and Shiv Sena” taught me (basically they play role of “Kamadev” for teaching us this meaning and spreading love across the city specially in Bhopal).
But when today I am working in S/W industry many of my friend (girls also) wished me for Valentine day but I never thought over this more than 10 sec. You can again see same words “Happy Valentine Day” but different meaning depends upon feelings like in first year of college what we felt (me and that girl) and what feeling today we have (me and my friends).
You can see strong influence of feeling in meaning of words – like many time we use very abusive words (please don’t ask me to use here, but believe me I know as I also did my engineering) between friends to show our affection but when same words used in quarrel between same friends then it means as same as their actual meaning. Here again feeling come into picture, first time we are saying same word but shaking hands or hugging friends and second time we are ready to destroy him along with same word.
I have many more example of Feelitation but now I want you to find out other example around you in your day to day life (as I feel we are the best teacher for us).
Many time people use some words as per their feeling and other understand or interpret same word according to their own feelings, and if there is gap between Feelitation then real problem occurs (implication of these problems may be either on +ve or –ve node).
As we all know feeling can’t be created it generates by default, so it’s not possible for us to control Feelitation meanings of words by our self but we can only try to reduce this gap in Feelitation among us and others.

2 comments:

iwin watodo said...

wow! feelitation, 100 saal baad jab yeh word popular ho jayega toh grammarian iska origin pata lagayenge.... then a bunch of PhD students tumhare life ke bare mei study karenge and pata nahi kya kya theory banayenge.... like they do of shakespeare, wordsworth and others....(soch lo, maan-dagat scandals bhi likh sakte hain... but that is the price you need to pay to create a new word... hahaha )
the blog has soemthing new...like they say..... hamara wavelength match kar raha hain.... coherence of thoughts is crucial, esp in relation, ...feelitation, i will keep that in mind

Felomina said...

nice blog :)
meri angreji thodi kamjoor hein isaka dictionary meaning mujhe nahin mila... shayad abhi next edition mein print hoke aayega.. :)
padhne ke baad gaana yaad aayaa" dil se re.... dil se re :)